Monday, March 14, 2011

Yesterday at the Range! All our Ammo "Problems" Solved

Yesterday I got to take the new guns out to brake it (with the serious hope of not braking them!)
I was a bit nervous because all we had to shoot was the reloads we had done for the KAHR.
I told my husband that at the first failure, I didn't care what kind of failure, he was to STOP and asses what that hell was going on, and not just keep shooting, and to call me over to figure it out, and if we couldn't between us take it over to the range master. Well I got a little shanghighed for the first couple of hours! There was an IPSC match that I had been invited to watch by a friend of mine who is an NRA Instructor. I went up and watched a little then was invited to join the group for the days match. I did, and my friend was my guide and was the one timing me and helping me with everything (He even gave me the right kind of holster, 3 Chip McCormick mags, his reloaded ammo, and payed my way for the day!) I hadn't even shot my Rock yet so I was nervous to say the least! Ok I guess I did good, learned some things about my gun that I didn't know! We'll see the scores in 2 weeks. I was also invited to and IDPA match next weekend by the same friend, he really wants to teach me a lot  and help me get into competitions. I did learn how many mags and what kind I needed, and what kind of holster I would need, and what kind of ammo was best for target shooting. I then got to shoot some on my own with my own ammo, again very nervous! Annie, in reply to your comment, I wish I had read that before the range, I would have taken that into more consideration. Well I started shooting with our reloads, and I never would have believed it, NOT A SINGLE FAILURE! No failure to feeds, or load or anything! Same goes for the Beretta using our 9mm reloads that the SCCY had so many problems with, not a single problem! What a relief to me, I was really worried that we would have problems!
Brought them home and cleaned them, and except for being very dirty (Unique is a very dirty powder!) no fowling in the barrels at all! I didn't get any pictures, but I shoot rather good if I do say so myself, and some of the people at the IPSC match said so too! I'm exited to learn as much as I can from my friend. I was wanting to go to a Women on Target Shooting Clinic next month, but its about a 5 hour drive away, and now after the new purchases no way we can afford the trip sadly! So we went ahead and spent just a little more money to get going better. A 200 Grain SWC .45 bullet mold, a 102 grain 9mm mold 3 Chip McCormick mags, and a Fobus Paddle holster like the one I used yesterday.
I hope that we can refine our ammo even more so that it shoots better as well. From what I'm learning a 200 grain .45 SWC bullet is a better option then 230 grain because you save on both the lead that you use and cutting down on recoil. I don't know if thats right, it seems there are so many sites out there that it gets confusing as the right info, so if anyone can clarify that for me, I would appreciate it.
Well, now I need to learn as much as I can from the IDPA and IPSC sites so I know what the heck I'm getting into!
TTFN and have a Bangtastic day
Mama A

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time, and have a friend that can show you the way (in shooting and reloading).
    In my own experience, Hodgdon Clays is the cleanest fastest burning powder.
    I'd advise you to pick up a Lyman Reloading Manual and read it like a Bible. Lyman doesn't sell powders or lead or primers...so all of their testing and data charts are unbiased. Really good info for newbies, too!
    Shoot safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie I'll go out and get that! Any reading I can do to learn and be safe is my best friend!
    Mama A

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can pick up the previous edition (#48) fairly inexpensively in some gun stores or at gun shows. The data and info in it is exactly the same, so you don't necessarily need to break the bank just to get the current edition.
    The newest ones only tend to add the newest load recipes developed, but they still print the old faithfuls in there, too.
    I gave away my #48 not long ago, or else I'd have sent it along to you! It even had highlighted parts and dog-eared pages. lol

    ReplyDelete